Friday, May 15, 2009

musings (from Hank)

(sorry - the title is actually referring to an episode of Corner Gas because my title reminded me of the episode where Hank blogs about his musings...but this post has nothing to do with that.)

Did anyone watch Farrah's Story tonight? I watched a little bit. It made me think...

Why?

Why do some people get cancer and some people don't? And why do they get it when they do? Some people get it when they are young and some people get it when they are older. Why is that? Some people fight cancer a few times throughout their life, and live....others get it once and die. Why?

I often wonder (because I am paranoid?) if I have cancer right now but don't know it. I feel like walking up to my dr and asking him to give me a scan just for my own peace of mind. (Okay, I am not that paranoid...?)

My sister just recently went through cancer and I wonder why she got it? How did she get it? Why? Why? Why?

Cancer is not quite the diagnosis for death it used to be. I think that when people hear they have cancer, their first thought nowadays is that of hope. Hope that they will be able to fight it...because some cancers can be fought.....and won.

I wonder if there ever will be a cure for cancer. There are so many types of cancer and cancer seems to be so unpredictable that the hope of a cure is distant. But there is still hope.

Is it something that we can honestly prevent? My grandma spent her whole life on the farm where everything (basically) was organic. She made everything from scratch (but those materials were bought in a store...ie. flour, sugar, salt, etc). She grew her own vegetables, canned fruit, baked fresh bread, cured her own meat, had her own eggs, etc, etc, etc. Yet, she had stomach cancer. By the time we found her cancer, it was too late and she died.

What made her have cancer? What was the culprit? I guess we will never know?

I think the solution to the problem though is just that. Finding out the reason why.....

Maybe then we will know....

and find a cure!!

No comments: