Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Memories of my grandma

It was 14 years ago today that my grandma died.

I grew up really close to my grandparents (and family). My parents owned a house not too far from my grandparents farm so we spent most summers out there as a kid.

In my family the tradition has always been (for as long as I remember anyway) to open our Christmas presents on Christmas Eve. I remember many Christmases spent out at the farm opening our gifts (then playing with them) on Christmas Eve. I cannot imagine doing anything different. We also put on a few plays for our grandparents, parents, etc when I was younger. Mainly the plays consisted of us acting out a Christmas song. One year we did a play to Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer.

Grandma died at about 10 after 4 on Christmas Eve 14 years ago. We opened our presents about 2 hours later. I am grateful that our parents allowed us to open our presents so soon after. It did not become a bad memory for me. I still love Christmas Eve and I feel closer to grandma every year on Christmas Eve.

I am looking forward to creating more memories tonight (especially with my niece)!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

No comments: